Thursday 20 August 2015

Veritas Shooting Board Plane


Before I talk about my new toy, I'm glad to see the 2" screw box featured in yesterdays post has been sold. I hope it's gone to a good home.
Having used Bern's Veritas Shooting board plane on the tool chest course recently I had to get myself one. Like Bern I bought mine from Dieter Schmid in Germany http://www.fine-tools.com/shooting-plane.html the delivered price was well over £100 less than Axminster Power Tools, shame on them!


I made myself a shooting board from bits of plywood I had knocking around and fitted a fence and side rail made from Ebony which should wear very well. I was going to go to the trouble of making both adjustable but there was enough play in the screws to enable minor movement which should do for a few years. I fitted the runway with the ultra low friction tape I use on my magnetic guides.


I cleaned up over 100 pieces of end grain walnut and beech and the high carbon O1 blade was still taking full shavings. After a while the handle made my hand a bit sore, so I switched to my more usual grip over the top of the blade. This was more comfortable than it may look.


I made the board longer than most I've seen, so I could also use it for the long grain of my box sides. At 27" it can easily take an 18-20" board. I did find the far corner a bit uncomfortable so I cut off the corner, see below. Loosing a few pounds would probably have worked just as well!


I've also made myself a 45 degree shooting board, again after using Bern's on the course. Plans for this are available in Bob Wearing's fine little book.


I went to the trouble of making the fence adjustable on this one, it works very well.
For those of you coming on the Dovetailing course at West Dean College in October I will have the plane and both shooting boards with me and they will get plenty of use!


10 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    Out of interest, is there any reason you chose the Veritas rather than the Lie Nielsen plane?
    Cheers, Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen,
      I was very happy with the way the Veritas performed and it was £140 cheaper than the Lie Nielsen! All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. Hi David,
    If the O1 blade impressed, then the PM -V11 will certainly knock the socks off. It's worth the extra 10$ CAD here, not sure about pounds, but the only problem with buying one is other blades now disappoint every now and then

    -Vincent Tai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vincent, thanks for your comments, I look forward to trying the new steel on the next Veritas purchase. All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. Thank you David. I enjoy reading it. I'm going to do one with the shooting track also from Veritas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should work very well. All the best, David

      Delete
  4. Any plans or drawing available to make one of these? I just ordered the same plane and need to build a board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get Bob Wearings little book I think called jigs and fixtures it has all the plans in that. All the best, David.

      Delete
  5. The auctioneers had previously made the boundaries of the property clear at auction. The plaintiffs subsequently sought a specific performance order.
    plastic garden fencing

    ReplyDelete