Tuesday 3 November 2015

Another High Angled Smoother


After my first attempt at a new plane, I thought I'd have another go, this time in rare Andaman padauk. This was one of James Krenovs favourite woods and I bought a few precious planks from Alan Peters widow a few years back.
I bought some brass M5 bolts for the bridge and I reduced the head in diameter, although they still seemed a bit large. I've got used to them now and I think they look ok.


  Instead of polishing up the bridge and screw head I sanded them to 320 grit which I think looks nice.

This is not a spectacular timber but the colour really seems to glow and I love it. It will darken down in time to a deep red, unlike the African padauk which turns pretty quickly from bright red to grey.


I finished it with two coats of Devon Wood oil which gave a nice Matt finish with just a hint of sheen, just right for this wood.

And here it is next to the first one in Brazilian Tulipwood.


5 comments:

  1. Ahha! So the EBay activity is to make space on the shelves for these little beauties David! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahha! So the EBay activity is to make space on the shelves for these little beauties David! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be moving work shop in the next few months so I'm gradually thinning out my stocks. These little planes don't take up much room! All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I even have been getting a lot of helpful and informative material in your web site. www.woodlandcreekfurniture.com

    ReplyDelete