Tuesday 24 November 2015

Arts and Crafts Cabinet at Auction

 A short while ago this small stationary cabinet came up for auction and I was really taken by its proportions and small size. It's a beautiful little thing, measuring 43 cm wide x 24 deep x 31.5 high (17" x 9 1/2" x 12 1/2")
 It is made from French walnut which has faded over the years to a nice colour. The corners are through dovetailed in true arts and crafts style.


The lower rails also features wedged through tenons.


The drawer has nice done drawer slips and a curved front lip. The auction estimate was £100 - £150 so I thought I would have a go, but in the end there were obviously plenty more admirers and it went under the hammer for £650. After adding on the commission and carriage charges etc that totalled about £850, far too much for me. The good news is that given the dimensions, I was able to scale off the main photo and get all I needed to build a version for myself, watch this space!!


4 comments:

  1. Hi David. This looks a great project to have a go at. I was wondering of you had any plans to do a video project or magazine article to show the build process. It would be nice to build along with you. Even a copy of the dimension plans you make would be nice to see. All the best Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barry, yes I'm looking forward to making this one, but it will have to be after the Xmas rush! I'll do an article for F&C and post updates on my Blog. All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. That is great David. Also I was thinking it could look really nice on a tall stand like some of the James Krenov cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barry, yes it probably would, although I have a space fro mine on my desk just waiting! all the best, David.

      Delete